Science, technology, engineering, art, and math work together to make learning fun in these STEAM lessons!
Perfect for Makerspace!
This first grade teacher resource book includes:
- A year’s worth of teacher lesson plans
- STEAM design challenges that turn elementary students into inventors
- Easy-to-follow lesson format (with standards identified for each lesson)
- Classroom-tested lessons
The STEAM Design Challenges in this book follow engineering practices to teach students in Grade 1 to solve a problem by designing, creating, and justifying their designs. They also allow art to support and enhance the learning of science and math while the engineering process is followed.
These engaging STEAM lessons:
- Integrate the Next Generation Science Standards and national standards from other disciplines
- Enhance learning across various disciplines
- Facilitate students in collaborating to solve real-world scenarios
- Promote critical thinking, analytical thinking, and reflective thinking
- Incorporate the Five Es Instructional Model (engage, explore, explain, elaborate, evaluate)
- Are classroom tested
Engineering Design Process
The lessons in this book are intended to support the engineering design process in which teachers become a facilitator by encouraging and guiding students to work as a team to find a creative solution to a real-world problem without providing step-by-step instructions. Students are inspired to act as scientists and engineers through the use of sketches, diagrams, mathematical relationships, and literacy connections. By creating their very own models and products based on background information from their studies, students are immediately engaged through a meaningful, rewarding lesson.